Comprehensive Cannabis Policy Development
The City Council listed development of a comprehensive Medical Cannabis Policy as one of the top 5 goals in the last goal setting process. The City has been working on developing this policy over the past year using the City Council Cannabis Policy Subcommittee. The policy will be multi-faceted in addressing all aspects of the industry and provide guidance to those looking to do business in Santa Rosa.
On November 9, 2017, at or after 4:00 PM in the City Council Chambers, the City’s Planning Commission will be considering and holding a public hearing on the Draft Comprehensive Cannabis Policy ordinance as amended October 5, 2017.
The comprehensive policy effort seeks to facilitate a permit compliance path for the cannabis industry in compliance with state law and local policy direction.
- Establishes cultivation limits for personal medical and adult use
- Consolidates the City’s interim cannabis policies
- Directs commercial medical cannabis businesses to commercial and industrial districts
- Establishes an operator in good standing program
- Provides standards to address security, odor, lighting and noise
- Provides for new dispensaries in commercial and industrial areas
- Addresses over concentration of dispensaries with buffers to schools and other dispensaries
- Allows for delivery services through a Retail facility
- Prohibits adult use cannabis businesses
- Prohibits outdoor cultivation of medical cannabis businesses
- Prohibits commercial cultivation in the -LIL (Limited Light Industrial) Combining District
- Please Note: While the proposed ordinance prohibits adult use cannabis businesses, the Planning Commission and City Council will discuss and may recommend amendments to allow adult use cannabis support and/or retail businesses.
Comprehensive Cannabis Policy Public Outreach and Review Schedule:
The City has updated the schedule for the development of comprehensive cannabis policy, a process that includes publication of the draft ordinance, public meetings to receive input, review of public feedback, public hearings by the Planning Commission and City Council.
- Publication of a Draft Comprehensive Cannabis Ordinance – June 30, 2017
- Public Meeting to get input – July 17, 2017 (6pm-8pm in the City Council Chamber)
- Review public feedback on Draft Ordinance with Council Subcommittee – July 27, 2017 and September 12, 2017.
- Planning Commission public hearing and review – November 9, 2017
- City Council public hearing and action – Dec 2017
- Effective date of Ordinance – Jan/Feb 2018
Public Comments on Draft Policy:
The City would like to hear your feedback. Please submit public comments on the Draft Policy to:
Deputy Director - Planning
Planning and Economic Development Department
100 Santa Rosa Ave, Room 3
Santa Rosa, CA 95404