The Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery is volunteer-operated and maintained. While the Recreation & Parks Department provides specialized assistance and limited funding for maintenance, the continuing care of the cemetery relies on tax-free donations and funds raised by tours, programs and special events. If you too would like to support this historical gem, here are some ways to get involved.
- Third Saturday Workdays: Join the Rural Cemetery every third Saturday of the month from 9:00-noon for a volunteer work party. (Work party not hosted in September.) Projects include the cemetery beautification efforts such as mowing grass and landscaping projects, painting, repairing borders, restoring plots, and various maintenance work.
- The Rose Brigade: Consider offering a bit of your time to join the Rose Brigade, a small group of volunteer gardeners who care for the Rural Cemetery’s extraordinary collection of vintage roses.
- Adopt-a-Plot: Select a specific plot (20x20 ft.) and sign up to maintain it in good condition by doing necessary weeding, raking, planting (if desired) 3-4 times a year.
- Docent: Serve as a docent for various tours, including student tours and Lamplight Tours.
- Acting: Lend your acting talents to a Lamplight Tour in the fall.
- Tombstone Trio: Tuesday-Thursday mornings at 8:30am, a small group meets for ongoing cemetery maintenance such as weed control, vegetation management, and tombstone repair.
- Memorial and Habitat Garden Volunteers: meeting every Friday morning at 9:30 to develop and maintain a garden of California native plants which also serves as a memorial garden.
- Preservation Committee: The Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery Preservation Committee meets monthly to discuss items including items such as maintenance procedures, planning special events, fundraisers, goals, preservation efforts, and new tours. Meetings are 5:30 pm and are held on the first Mondays of the month at Finley Community Center. See their mission statement and objectives below.
Friends of the Rural Cemetery
Individuals can join the “Friends of the Rural Cemetery” at different membership levels, or make one-time contributions to the Rural Cemetery Preservation Fund. Click here for a brochure. Friends and volunteers receive a quarterly newsletter, The Cemeterian.
Preservation Committee Mission and Objectives
The mission of the Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery Preservation Committee is to preserve, maintain and protect this historic cemetery and to promote community support through educational tours and events and other means that demonstrate our motto, “Where History Comes to Life!”
Our objective is to research burial records and history, to provide tours and programs, update and refine maps, restore tombstones and roads, cultivate heritage roses, and to provide and educate for the care of the California native plants and trees.