helping person at front counter

 Citizen Services

As a citizen living, working or visiting Santa Rosa, you have the right to request evaluation of or question traffic conditions that you feel need to be changed.  With approximately 550 miles of maintained roadway in Santa Rosa, it is nearly impossible for the City staff to proactively identify every traffic related issue.  In that regard, we rely heavily on those citizens traveling on our roadway system to identify areas of concern and notify our staff for evaluation and possible correction.

We are committed to listening to your concerns and making every effort to evaluate your comments.

Citizen Service Request Program – In this program, all calls, emails and letters are logged and provided a response.  Some requests will result in an investigation resulting in corrective action, others may be recommended for the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Program.

How to submit your comment, request or complaint:

  • Call (707) 543-3814, ask for the counter staff.
  • Submit a letter to: Traffic Engineering, 69 Stony Circle, Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Your message needs to contain the following items:

  • Your name and contact number or email
  • A brief, or detailed, description of your comment, request or complaint
  • Any specifics such as location, time of day or type of activity