The City of Santa Rosa takes a pro-active approach to graffiti abatement. As “tagging” and gang graffiti has escalated, so too has the City’s efforts to eliminate it.
The Public Works, Police and Parks Departments work collaboratively to address graffiti vandalism through abatement, education, and enforcement. It is hoped that through the efforts of the City staff, volunteers, property owners, and effective enforcement of Graffiti Abatement Ordinance 3729, graffiti will be limited throughout the City of Santa Rosa.
The Public Works Department:
- Removes graffiti from public property
The Santa Rosa Police Department:
- Is responsible for graffiti abatement from private property
- Enforces the City's Graffiti Abatement Ordinance 3729
- Conducts vandalism investigations
- Administers the Volunteer Graffiti Abatement Program
- Makes Presentations to schools, community groups and neighborhood associations
- Conducts community outreach campaigns and attends special events
The Recreation and Parks Department:
- Removes graffiti from City parks
When reporting graffiti vandalism in progress, be prepared to give a description of the location of the graffiti, the vandals clothing, age, height, gender and what was used to do the graffiti.
How do I distinguish public property from private property?
In general, public property includes parks, streets, sidewalks, and street furniture - for example, traffic signals, streetlights, water hydrants, and signs. Report graffiti in these areas to the responsible agency. Private property is typically located behind the sidewalk - for example, buildings, walls, and fences.
Who is responsible for graffiti removal on private property?
Graffiti removal on private property is the responsibility of the property owner, with assistance from the graffiti abatement volunteers on a limited basis. Exceptions include private utility structures (boxes, poles, etc.) located in the public right-of-way, or State/County property, which can be referred to the appropriate agency. See the sidebar list of contact numbers.