Records Bureau Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday  9:00am - 4:00pm

The goal of the Santa Rosa Police Department's Records Bureau is to provide quality customer service to the citizens of Santa Rosa, department personnel, and many other agencies requiring information and assistance.

The Records Bureau is comprised of Police Technicians and three Records Supervisors. The Bureau is part of the Technical Services Division and is overseen by the Technical Services Division Manager. The staff in the Records Bureau assist the public by:

  • Answering the business phone lines.
  • Taking crime and incident reports.
  • Making referrals to other department personnel and agencies.
  • Signing off mechanical violation citations.
  • Researching requests for report copies and statistical information.
  • Property & Evidence
  • Fee Schedule

When the staff is not responding to customer service requests, they can be found entering data into local, county, state and national computer databases; maintaining the security and accuracy of the department's Records Management System; maintaining the property and evidence taken into the department's storage system; providing liaison duties with the local court system; and issuing alarm permits and tracking false alarm responses.

Click here for a detailed job description of a Police Technician.


How can I find out the status of my case?
To learn about the status of your case, please call (707) 543-3600 to be directed to the officer who took the original report. If he/she is unavailable, you will be transferred to his/her voicemail where you may leave a message.

How to obtain a copy of a Traffic Collision Report?
To better serve our citizens and insurance carriers in need of a traffic collision report, we have partnered with LexisNexis and have implemented an online dissemination program to provide our collision reports securely, online.

Please click Here to obtain an online report.

You can save time because there is no need to go to the Santa Rosa Police Department to request a report.

Obtaining a report takes only a few minutes and a nominal fee for this service is added to the cost of the report and you can make the request conveniently from your home or office computer.

Important: Before attempting to obtain a copy of a collision report online, please allow a minimum of 10 days from the date of the collision to allow the report to be reviewed and approved for release.

Traffic collision reports resulting in a fatality, part of an arrest incident or involving a crime or a juvenile, are not released online – please contact our Records Bureau to request one of these types of reports.

A fee of $10 will be assessed for the ability to retrieve your report online. Citizens can still come to our Records Bureau counter during business hours to obtain a collision report for $2. Our Records hours are M-F 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays.

If you need assistance locating your report online, please contact eCrash Help Desk: 1-866-215-2771.

How do I know who is investigating my case?
Major felony cases are investigated by the Special Services Division. You may call (707) 543-3600 for the appropriate Special Services Division team, be provided with the investigator's name, and the answer to any general questions.

Will you call me if my case ever comes to closure?
The investigator maintains contact with the victims in his/her cases. During their conversations, significant events may be disclosed, including the closure of the case.
Will you call me if my property is found?
If your property is recovered during an investigation, the investigator will notify you. In some cases, property is recovered without any identifying information (i.e. serial numbers). The investigating officer will make every effort to locate the owner and return property.

Is the Records Counter open to the public 24 hours per day?
While we provide emergency services 24 hours per day, our records counter is open from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for citizens to conduct business. 

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?
You need to complete an
application for release of information.  We need the case report number or the date and location of the incident and the names of the parties involved in order to process your request. You may mail or drop off your application with the $2.00 fee. The Records Bureau has 10 days to determine if copies will be provided.

How much do copies of police reports cost?
Effective December 1, 2004, copies of reports will be provided to the public by mail only.  Requests need to be submitted on the "Application for Release of Information Form" and payment must be included (check or cash) with the completed form.  The fees are as follows:

Police reports ...............................................    $2.00

Incident printouts (given in the event that a police report was not taken).......................................................    $2.00

Statistical reports (i.e., how many reports have been taken at a  specific location) ..........................................    $10.00

* Checks should be made payable to the City of Santa Rosa.

The insurance company says it is my responsibility to obtain a copy of my accident report.  Is this correct?
This matter is between you and your insurance company. Most insurance companies do provide this service for you.

Are police reports "public information"?
Police reports, calls for service, and arrest information are, for the most part, public information, with specific exceptions as outlined in the California Public Records Act. All reports and computer-documented incidents are screened for any information that is not available to the public before release.

How do I get a copy of my arrest history?
You must apply directly to the
California Department of Justice. Application forms are available at the Records Counter of the Public Safety Building or at any law enforcement agency.

How do I get my arrest record sealed if I am an adult (18 years or older)?
You must petition the court that had jurisdiction over your case. You may obtain the required form at the Records Counter of the Public Safety Building.

Can anyone obtain a copy of my arrest record?
No, that information will not be released to the public.

Is juvenile (under 18 years old) arrest information public and can I obtain a copy?
No. You will be referred to the Juvenile Court.

How do I dispose of any unwanted firearms and/or ammunition?                                                 To dispose of any unwanted firearms and/or ammunition, you may turn them in to the police department. Please follow these important safety instructions:

  1. Make sure your firearm(s) are unloaded.
  2. Preferably lock your firearm(s) in a secure container.
  3. Ammunition can be placed in a box or specific ammunition can.
  4. Upon transport, lock the firearm(s) in the trunk of your car and store the ammunition in either the glove box and/or the interior compartment area.
  5. Drive striaght to the police department located at:  965 Sonoma Avenue in Santa Rosa. Do not stop anywhere else.
  6. Park and lock your car in front of the Public Safety Building and go inside and ask for instructions.
  7. Upon arrival, make contact with front counter personnel. Tell them that you want to turn in your firearm(s) and/or ammunition for destruction.          

If you should ever encounter any type of military ordinance and/or explosives such as grenades, pipe bombs, sticks of dynamite, or containers of gun powder - DO NOT TOUCH! None of these types of munitions should be considered safe regardless of size or packaging.

Contact the police department by calling (707) 528-5222.

Let the police assess the situation to see if this is a job for the bomb squad.