On June 19, 2012, the City Council approved General Plan and Zoning Code text amendment to change the City of Santa Rosa’s policies and regulations pertaining to grocery stores. This project was part of the Council’s Tier 2 Economic Development projects initiated on August 30, 2011.
The project goals are as follows:
- Make it easier for grocery stores at existing designated Community Shopping Center sites to remodel and expand while achieving mixed use development over time.
- Create consistency between General Plan and Zoning Code terminology to make it easier for small and large grocery stores to identify potential sites within the City of Santa Rosa.
- Increase access to fresh food by allowing small grocery stores throughout the City’s commercial districts as a permitted use.
- Enhance downtown Santa Rosa and surrounding neighborhoods by allowing small and large grocery stores downtown as a permitted use.
- To provide flexibility, allow large grocery stores to be considered on alternative sites through a Conditional Use Permit process.
General Plan Amendments – Approved June 19, 2012
Zoning Code Text Amendments – Approved June 19, 2012 – effective July 27, 2012
Quad Maps: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, and Southwest Santa Rosa
Food Desert Map
List of designated Community and Neighborhood Shopping Centers
General Plan 2035 Land Use Diagram
The Council directed Community Development staff to develop additional zoning code changes to address conditions in Census Tract 1514.02, the area generally bounded by Highway 12 to the north, US-101 to the west, Petaluma Hill Road to the east, and Mountain View Avenue to the south, identified by the United States Department of Agriculture as a “Food Desert.” Per the USDA, a food desert” is a low-income census tract where a substantial number or share of residents has low access to a supermarket or large grocery store. This project is tentatively scheduled for Planning Commission on July 26, 2012 and City Council on September 18, 2012.
Erin Morris, Senior Planner
City of Santa Rosa Community Development
100 Santa Rosa Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404