General Pretreatment Program Information
The Environmental Compliance Section administers the Pretreatment Program which regulates all Significant Industrial Users (SIUs) and Categorical Users that are connected to the Subregional Wastewater Collection System. This federally mandated Pretreatment Program was implemented by the City of Santa Rosa in 1975.
SIUs, in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations 40 CFR 403.3, are defined as:
- Any industrial users that are subject to Categorical Pretreatment Standards, or
- Any other user that has any one or more of the following characteristics:
- Has an average discharge flow of equal to or greater than 25,000 gallons per day of process wastewater to the Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP);
- Contributes a process waste stream which is five percent or more of the average dry weather hydraulic or organic capacity of the WWTP;
- Has a reasonable potential to adversely affect the WWTP operations, or;
- Violates any pretreatment standard or requirement (in accordance with 40 CFR 403.8 (f)(6)).
The Pretreatment Program consists of the permitting, inspecting, monitoring, and sampling of all applicable industries and businesses to ensure compliance with the applicable local, state, and federal requirements.
This program has been put in place to control any pollutants originating from the industrial users that are connected to the Subregional Wastewater Collection System and encompasses industries and businesses located in the cities of Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park, Sebastopol, Cotati and South Park County Sanitation District who are our Subregional partners.
The objectives of the Pretreatment Program include:
- To protect water and biosolids quality, the Laguna Water Reclamation System, the Subregional Wastewater Collection System, and the operations and maintenance staff of the City of Santa Rosa and the other Subregional partners.
- The promotion and implementation of pollution prevention initiatives and best management practices with local industries.
Applicable Industrial User Discharge Permit Fee(s)
At this time, there is no fee(s) associated with new Industrial User Discharge Permits or Industrial User Discharge Permit renewals.
Industrial User Discharge Permit Applications
Industrial User Discharge Permit applications can be downloaded by clicking the applicable link below. Adobe PDF Reader is required to view the document.
Industrial User Discharge Permit Application (pdf file)
ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE SECTION CONTACT INFORMATION
For more information about the Pretreatment Program or to obtain information about how the Pretreatment regulations may apply to your business and specific on-site process, please contact the Environmental Compliance Section at:
Environmental Compliance Section
The City of Santa Rosa
4300 Llano Road
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Telephone (707) 543-3369
Fax (707) 543-3398