The Santa Rosa Fire Department performs fire inspections on businesses and multi-family dwellings in the city. They also inspect citizen concerns regarding possible unsafe conditions or fire code violations. These inspections follow the California Fire Code which has been adopted by the City and includes state regulations and adopted local ordinances for fire protection and public safety.
Performing such inspections minimizes the chances of fire and property damage, while increasing public safety. In this capacity the fire department serves business owners as a valuable resource to safeguard their property investments.
Many common codes or violations that are evaluated when conducting inspections are those that can be easily addressed by property owners thereby reducing the chance of a fire. Some of these include:
Making sure fire protection equipment such as fire extinguishers, automatic sprinkler systems, and fire alarms systems are maintained in working order and serviced at required intervals.
- Maintaining clear access to all fire protection equipment.
- Using proper electrical wiring and components.
- Maintaining proper exit widths and keeping them clear to the public way.
- Making sure that illuminated EXIT signs are working.
- Properly using hazardous materials.
- Keeping combustible storage away from electrical panels and out of electrical and mechanical rooms.